top of page
When You Visit!
1) Bring FOOD ! ! !
Lot's to see, WARNING ! NO FOOD on Alcatraz Island or access boats!
Picnic areas available - highly recommended, get most out of your visit - bring PICNIC lunch! !
2) ARRIVE @ Pier 33 - at least 30 minutes before scheduled departure time.
3) Explore Pier 33/Alcatraz Landing:
Island Model, Historical Dioramas,
& Botanical Exhibit
4) When BOARDING:
- recommend 1st level seating areas, bow best! (NOTE: only 12 -15 min. trip to island!)
5) Position for EXIT from vessel PRIOR to landing at Alcatraz Island*
*may take up to 10 minutes for boat to de-board!
6) Upon Arrival @ Alcatraz Island:
- Listen to Welcome by National Park Ranger
& take part in any special PROGRAMS* offered
(*May include Walking HISTORY programs,
Garden Tours, Seabird Watching & More!)
7) Walk up hill, (access tram available after each
boat arrival, as needed - (note fully ramped 130- foot ascent from dock to Prison Building entrance!), and, if walking, be sure to stop frequently stop to enjoy the views at numerous 'photo-op' locations!
And, be sure to continually look over roadway railings to discover hidden historical gardens - mostly along main road, and West-side of island access road.
8) Take Cell-house Self-Guided
Audio Tour* - (included in ticket price)
*download Visitor app on island , or pick-up headset at prison building entrance.
9) After Cell-house tour, EXPLORE west-side
of island and discover unique views of the San Francisco waterfront and iconic skyline, Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito and Marin Headlands.
10) November to February Only !
Explore Parade Ground and Agave Trail back to dock area. Time your arrival back to dock area to coincide with boat departure schedule.
NOW, ENJOY your 'Time on the ROCK'!
Alcatraz Cruises is the only official vendor for Alcatraz tickets! See below :
bottom of page