When You Visit!
1) Arrive @ Pier 33 - 30 minutes prior to departure
2) Explore Pier 33/Alcatraz Landing:
Island Model, Historical Dioramas,
& Botanical Exhibits
3) If hungry, visit Alcatraz Landing Cafe*
*currently CLOSED due to COVID
4) When boarding:
- we recommend open-deck seating areas -
open bow and second level on most boats
(only 12 -15 min. trip to island!)
5) Position for EXIT from vessel PRIOR to landing at Alcatraz Island*
*may take up to 10 minutes for boat to de-board
6) Upon Arrival @ Alcatraz Island:
- Listen to Welcome by National Park Ranger
- take part in any special PROGRAMS* offered
*May include Walking HISTORY programs,
Garden Tours, Seabird Watching & More
7) As you walk up hill, stop to enjoy the views,
look over railings to discover hidden historical gardens - mostly along main road and west-side - (Officer's Row Gardens are currently closed )
8) Take Cell-house Self-Guided
Audio Tour* (45 minutes)
*download Visitor app on island , or pick-up headset at prison building entrance.
9) After Cell-house tour, EXPLORE West Side of Alcatraz Island -
Follow 'West Road' - starts at Light Station
10) November to February -
Explore Parade Ground and Agave Trail back to dock area. Time your arrival back to dock area to coincide with boat departure schedule.
ENJOY your 'Time on the ROCK'!
Alcatraz Cruises is the only official vendor for Alcatraz tickets!